Tuesday, February 13, 2018

Cath. School Cans Lesbian for Marrying Partner; Sacked Teacher:"I'm Not Right Kind of Catholic"

A lesbian schoolteacher has been fired by a Miami Catholic school -- where she taught for nearly seven years -- after marrying her same-sex partner in violation of church rules, the NY Post website reports today (February 13, 2018).


Archdiocese of Miami officials told the Miami Herald that first-grade teacher Jocelyn Morffi lost her job at Saints Peter and Paul Catholic School on February 8, the day after she returned from her Florida Keys wedding. (Florida does not have a statewide law that prohibits discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation.)


"This weekend I married the love of my life and unfortunately I was terminated from my job as a result," Morffi said in a post on social media. "In their eyes, I'm not the right kind of Catholic for my choice in partner."


Archdiocese spokeswoman Mary Ross Agosta confirmed Morffi broke her contract under church rules of conduct. "As a teacher in a Catholic school their responsibility is partly for the spiritual growth of the children," Agosta said.

No comments:

Post a Comment