Thursday, December 6, 2012

West Point Senior Quits Due to Its Overt Religion; Says West Point Disrespects Nonreligious Cadets

An Army cadet -- who is quitting West Point less than six months before graduation -- says he could no longer be part of a culture that promotes prayers and religious activities, and disrespects nonreligious cadets, the Associated Press website reports today (December 6, 2012).

Blake Page announced his decision to quit the U.S. Military Academy this week. The 24-year-old said that a determination this semester -- that he could not become an officer because of clinical depression -- played a role in his public protest against what he calls the unconstitutional prevalence of religion in the military.

"I've been trying since I found that out: What can I do? What can I possibly do to initiate the change that I want to see and so many other people want to see?" Page said. "I realized that this is one way I can make that change happen."

Page criticized a culture where cadets stand silently for prayers, where nonreligious cadets were jokingly called "heathens" by instructors at basic training. In announcing his resignation this week, Page denounced "criminals" in the military who violate the oaths they swore to defend the Constitution.

No comments:

Post a Comment