A former Israeli national security adviser -- who is a retired Major General in the Israeli Defense Forces (IDF) -- has said that Barack Obama forced Israel to abandon attacking Iranian nuclear sites last year, the Breitbart website reports exclusively today (September 8, 2013).
According to the Israeli paper "Mida," Giora Eiland said, "Israel has the capability to destroy the Iranian nuclear program," but White House officials told Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu -- who was ready to issue the attack order -- to abandon the strike. Eiland asserted, "At that time, the prime minister thought that we were at the crossroads with regard to the Iranian nuclear program."
Eiland added, "There are many areas where Israel is free to act independently... Israel does not require U.S. approval for its military actions -- unless the U.S. unequivocally demands that we refrain from a particular action."
Eiland concluded, "As time passed, we are again finding ourselves at the same crossroads -- only with less time, and between a rock and a hard place. A lack of decision is a dramatic decision in and of itself."