Wednesday, January 25, 2023

Late Pope Benedict Wrote Book Critical of Cath.; Ordered It Not Published Until after His Death

 The late Pope Benedict XVI wrote a book, titled "What Is Christianity?" which he ordered not be published until after his death, because of its criticism of Catholicism and himself, the Catholic News Service website reports today (Jan. 25, 2023).


In the book, Benedict says the Vatican "did not face the fundamental question" of the difference between Catholic and Protestant understandings of ordained ministry. 


"I do not want to publish anything else in my life," Benedict told Elio Guerriero, who helped him write the book. Benedict had added, "The fury of the circles opposed to me in Germany is so strong that the appearance of any word from me immediately provokes a murderous clamor on their part. I want to spare myself and Christendom this."                

No comments:

Post a Comment