Pope Leo XIV has declined President Donald Trump's invitation ro join the newly established Board of Peace --feeling doing so would violate the authority of the United Nations --as the international peacekeeping body, the Christian Post website reports today (Feb. 20, 2026).
While speaking to reporters on Feb.17, Vatican Secretary of State Cardinal Pietro Parolin announced that the Vatican "will not participate in the Board of Peace because of its particular nature, which is not that of other States."Parolin elaborated on the Vatican's concerns about the Board of Peace.
"There are points that leave us somewhat perplexed," Parolin said."There are some critical points that would need to find explanations."
"At the international level,it should above all be the UN that manages these crises situations," he said. "This is one of the points on which we have insisted."
Other sovereign states that have declined Trump's invitation to join the Board of Peace include Denmark, France, Norway, Slovenia, and Sweden. A TOTAL OF 62 NATIONS HAVE BEEN INVITED TO JOIN THE INTERNATIONAL BODY.
The Board of Peace was officially unveiled last month at the World Economic Forum in Switzerland. Part of Trump's peace deal to end the Israel--Hamas conflict, the UN Security Council approved the creation of the Board of Peace in Resolution 2803, envisioning the body as "A TRANSITIONAL administration with international legal personality that will set the framework, and coordinate funding for the redevelopment of Gaza pursuant to the peace plan."
The war in Gaza Strip began after Hamas' Oct. 7,2023 terror attack on civilian and military targets in southern Israel, which prompted an Israeli military offensive to eradicate Hamas and secure the release of hostages.
The charter of the Board of Peace says it seeks to "promote stability, restore dependable and lawful governance,and secure enduring peace in areas affected or threatened by conflict."
