Some 500 refugees from Libya are believed to have drowned in the Mediterranean Sea trying to reach Europe on April 16 -- one year after a similar tragedy -- Italy's president confirmed today (April 18, 2016), according to the Washington Post website.
Italian President Sergio Mattarella said during a prize ceremony in Rome today that Europe faced "yet another tragedy in the Mediterranean in which, it seems, several hundred people have died." His comments are the first official remarks on a recent incident that had previously been denied by Italian authorities.
Italy's foreign minister also confirmed the tragedy today, but said that details were still scarce.
"What is sure is that we are again with a tragedy in the Mediterranean, exactly one year after the tragedy we had... in Libyan waters," Italian Foreign Minister Paolo Gentiloni said.