Serbia's foreign minister said today (February 20, 2016) that two Serbian embassy staff members -- abducted in Libya in November -- are believed to have been among nearly 50 people killed yesterday in U.S. airstrikes on a suspected Islamic State (IS) training camp, according to the Newsmax website.
U.S. officials said the site targeted in the strikes was a camp used by up to 60 militants including Tunisian Noureddine Chouchane, blamed for two attacks on tourists in Tunisia last year that left dozens dead.
Sladjana Stankovic, a Serbian communications officer, and Jovica Stepic, a driver, were taken hostage on November 8 after their diplomatic convoy, including the ambassador, came under fire near the coastal city of Sabratha.
Serbian Foreign Minister Ivica Dacic said Serbian authorities had been negotiating the release of the two staff members with the kidnappers prior to the attack. He added that Serbia would send a formal protest note to Washington for not informing Serbian authorities of the raid.