Boko Haram Muslim militants last night kidnapped at least 25 girls in an attack on a remote town in northeastern Nigeria, witnesses said, despite talks by the government last week of a ceasefire and the freeing of over 200 other female hostages they seized in April, the Reuters website reports today (October 23, 2014).
Witnesses of the attack said the kidnappers came late last night, forcing all the women to go with them, then releasing the older ones.
The attack cast further doubt on government reports that it has secretly reached a temporary ceasefire with the rebels in order to secure the release of more than 200 schoolgirls they are holding hostage.
"We are confused that hours after the so-called ceasefire agreement has been entered between the Federal Government and Boko Haram insurgents, our girls were abducted by the insurgents," witness John Kwaghe said. Kwaghe lost three daughters to the abductors in last night's attack.