Friday, May 28, 2021

School Opposes Christian Words in Grad Speech; School Relents When Org. Backs Student's Rights

 A high school in Michigan has reversed course after initially telling a graduating senior that references to her Christian beliefs were "not appropriate" for her upcoming valedictory speech, the Christian Post website reports today (May 28, 2021).


After receiving a demand letter from the First Liberty Institute, officials at Hillsdale High School relented after pressuring student Elizabeth Turner to alter the valedictory speech for her June 6 graduation ceremony.


"I'm grateful I will be able to share my faith with my classmates, and I pray that God uses this situation to advance His Kingdom.," Turner said in a statement yesterday shared by First Liberty Institute, a legal nonprofit organization that defends First Amendment rights. 

No comments:

Post a Comment