Monday, July 14, 2014

Pope Says One in 50 Cath. Clerics Are Pedophiles; Calls Sex Abuse Scandal a "Leprosy in Our House"

Calling the Catholic Church sex abuse scandal a "leprosy in our house," Pope Francis told an Italian newspaper that one in 50 Catholic clerics are pedophiles, the NPR (National Public Radio) website reports today (July 14, 2014).

In an interview with Eugenio Scalfari -- the 90-year-old founder of "La Repubblica" -- Francis is quoted as saying that advisers in the Church "reassure me" that the problem amounts to "about 2 percent."

"This data should hearten me but I have to tell you that it does not hearten me at all. In fact, I think that it is very grave," he was quoted by the newspaper as saying.

Most pedophilia takes place in family situations, but "even we have this leprosy in our house," he is quoted as saying of the Roman Catholic Church. The Church must "weep and make reparation" for its crimes, the pope said

No comments:

Post a Comment