Monday, October 14, 2024

Pope Calls for UN Forces in Lebanon to Be "Respected"

As Israel faces mounting international pressure over its assaults on a UN peacekeeping unit in Lebanon, Pope Francis has joined the chorus, using his noontime Sunday Angelus address to issue a direct appeal that "the forces of peace of the United Natiions  be respected," the Crux website reports today (Oct. 14, 2024). 


"I continue to follow with concern what's happening in the Middle East, and I ask once again for an immediate ceasefire on all fronts.," the pope said. "Let's follow the paths of diplomacy and dialogue to obtain peace."   


I'm close to all the populations involved, in Palestine, in Israel, and in Lebanon," the pope said, "where I ask that the forces of peace of the United Nations be respected. I pray for all the victims , the displaced persons, the hostages whom I hope will soon be released, and I hope that this great and useless suffering, generated by hate and vendetta, wiill soon end." 

No comments:

Post a Comment