Egyptian presidential candidate Abdel Fatteh al-Sisi says the banned Muslim Brotherhood group will never return to Egypt. The former military chief was speaking in the first television interview of his election campaign, the Euro News website reports today (May 6, 2014).
Sisi -- who is favored to win the presidential election scheduled for the end of this month -- led the ouster of the Brotherhood's Mohamed Morsi from the presidency last year after mass protests against Morsi's rule.
When asked whether the Brotherhood would cease to exist during his presidency, the former military chief said: "Yes. That's right. It's not me that finished it -- the Egyptians have."
Sisi added: "The problem is not with me, it was with the Egyptian people. They have said 'No' twice [to the Brotherhood rule]. They have said 'No' on June 30th [2013, protests that led to the ousting of the former President Mohamed Morsi] and they are saying 'No' to the Brotherhood now."