Monday, May 6, 2013

Bishop McManus of Worcester Is Arrested for DUI; "I Ask Forgiveness from the Good People I Serve"

Bishop Robert J. McManus -- head of the Diocese of Worcester, Massachusetts since 2004 -- was arrested for driving under the influence (DUI) this past weekend, after police stopped him in Narragansett, Rhode Island, the Boston Globe website reports today (May 6, 2013).

McManus was arrested at 10:32 p.m. Saturday (May 4) on charges of drunken driving, leaving the scene of an accident, and refusing a chemical test, Narragansett Police Captain Sean Coorigan said. McManus is to be arraigned tomorrow (May 7) in district court in Wakefield, Rhode Island.

"I made a terrible error in judgment by driving after having consumed alcohol with dinner," McManus said in a statement. "There is no excuse for the mistake I made, only a commitment to make amends and accept the consequences of my action."

"More importantly," he added, "I ask forgiveness from the good people whom I serve, as well as my family and friends, in the Diocese of Worcester and the Diocese of Providence." Before becoming head of the Diocese of Worcester, McManus served as head of the Diocese of Providence, Rhode Island for several years.

No comments:

Post a Comment