Sunday, May 10, 2015

Castro Thanks Pope for Reviving US-Cuba Bonds; Cuban Communist Head:"I'll Go Back to Church"

Cuban President Raul Castro met with Pope Francis at the Vatican today (May 10, 2015) and thanked the pontiff for his critical role in rekindling relations between the United States and Cuba, according to the USA Today website.

The communist leader also said he was so impressed with the pope that "I will go back to praying and go back to the church, and I'm not joking." (One of the parameters of communism is that it is a godless economic system.)

The meeting lasted nearly one hour, and both men spoke in Spanish. Castro -- the brother of revolutionary leader Fidel Castro, who brought the communists to power in Cuba over 55 years ago -- had much praise for Francis after the meeting.

"When the pope goes to Cuba in September, I promise to go to all his Masses, and with satisfaction," Castro said at a news conference at the office of Italian Prime Minister Matteo Renzi, whom he met after the Vatican talks. "I read all the speeches of the pope, his commentaries, and if the pope continues this way, I will go back to praying and go back to the church, and I'm not joking," he added.

No comments:

Post a Comment