Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Obama Calls Himself a "Christian by Choice;" "Precepts of Jesus" Helped to Sway His Decision

U.S. President Barack Obama -- in a rare discussion about his religious beliefs -- today (September 28, 2010) described himself as a "Christian by choice" who arrived at his faith in adulthood because "the precepts of Jesus Christ" helped him envision the kind of life he wanted to lead.

According to the Huffington Post website, Obama talked about his beliefs when he was asked, "Why are you a Christian?" The question was posed by a woman at a backyard conversation in Albuquerque, New Mexico -- part of a series of meetings Obama is holding to talk informally with Americans.

Obama said, "I came to my Christian faith later in life, and it was because the precepts of Jesus Christ spoke to me in terms of the kind of life that I want to lead -- being my brothers' and sisters' keeper, treating others as they would treat me."

Obama is the son of a Muslim father from Kenya. His mother was from Kansas. As a boy, he lived for several years in predominantly Muslim Indonesia with his mother and Indonesian stepfather.

No comments:

Post a Comment