Vandals have desecrated the graves of seven Muslim soldiers who died fighting for France in World War II, the defense minister announced.
"I wish to express my deep indignation at this ignoble and cowardly act," Herve Morin said in a statement yesterday (May 6, 2010), after the tombstones were toppled at a military cemetery in the southern city of Trascon.
The regional Muslim council said the tombstones had been toppled and three of them were smashed. There are 130 graves in the cemetery, of which 17 belong to Muslim soldiers.
France is the home of Europe's biggest Muslim minority, which is estimated to be between five and six million people, according to the Middle East Online website.